Discover US Hotels and Motels that Welcome Cash Payments: Skip the Plastic
Finding places in the US to stay which take cash can be tricky. Most hotels and motels take cards, but there are some which prefer cash. This article provides an overview of these hotels and motels.
We’ll explore why they prefer cash, and give tips to those paying in cash. Read on to discover more.
Why do some hotels/motels not accept cash?
Hotels & motels don’t accept it for various reasons, like safety, bookkeeping ease, and avoiding fake money issues. Cashless transactions offer more accountability for both guests and hotels. Some may require a credit/debit card for incidental costs, such as room service or room damage. Nonetheless, some hotels may accept it upon request. It’s best to check in advance, though.
Advantages of paying with cash
These payments come with many advantages! Budgeting is made simpler and the risk of fraud is much lower. Plus, privacy is increased. All over the USA, many hotels and motels are aware of these benefits, and accept them as a form of payment. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider paying with cash:
- You can easily control your spending by setting limits.
- The risk of identity theft and credit card fraud is reduced.
- These transactions need less verification than credit or debit cards.
- Anonymity and privacy are heightened.
Hotels and motels may offer discounts or other deals when you pay with cash. So next time you’re planning a stay, check if they accept it and make the most of it!
Disadvantages of paying with cash
Many hotels and motels in the USA accept cash, but there are some drawbacks.
- Fraud protection is limited. It doesn’t provide the same protection as a debit or credit card.
- No rewards or cashback. Credit card payments may offer cashback or rewards points, but cash payments don’t.
- Inconvenience. Carrying it can be inconvenient and even dangerous.
So, when deciding to pay with cash, consider the potential disadvantages. It may be necessary for certain situations, e.g. when traveling, or if a guest doesn’t have a bank account.
Hotels that accept cash in the USA
Although, most hotels require a credit card at check-in. But don’t worry, there are a few that will allow you to pay in cash.
Let’s explore the options for cash-paying hotel guests in the USA. This section will provide info on which types of hotels take cash and the requirements that come with it.
Overview of popular hotel chains that accept cash
These payments at hotels are rare, but some popular hotel chains in the USA accept them.
Motel 6 accepts them for room charges and incidentals. The same goes for Super 8, though policies may differ per location. Econo Lodge is another budget hotel chain that accepts them.
At Red Roof Inn, they are accepted only for room charges. A credit or debit card is needed for incidentals. Best Westerns also accept these payments, but a credit or debit card is required to make a reservation.
Note: Hotels may require a deposit or hold on a credit/debit card, even when cash is used for the room. So, check the hotel’s policies first.
Independent hotels that accept cash
Independent hotels provide an amazing, wallet-friendly experience for those who would rather pay with it. Here are some great USA options!
- Motel 6: This budget-friendly chain has over 1,400 spots across America, and happily takes it at check-in.
- Studio 6: Owned by Motel 6, this extended-stay hotel chain also allows these payments.
- Red Roof Inn: With over 500 locations across the USA, this hotel chain lets you pay with it for your stay.
- 21c Museum Hotels: Boutique hotels that offer special experiences and amenities, and accept cash payments.
- Drury Inn & Suites: Free evening snacks and drinks, plus cash payments are accepted here.
It’s recommended to call ahead and confirm payment options before booking, and some hotels may require a deposit if you pay with cash. Don’t forget to bring ID too!
Motels that accept cash in the USA
In the hospitality industry, cash payments are not common anymore. However, some motels still take cash. In this article, we’ll talk about the best places to discover cash-accepting motels in the USA.
Overview of popular motel chains that accept cash
Traveling can be difficult when it comes to finding a motel that accepts cash. But worry not! There are a few popular chains that do.
Motel 6 has over 1,400 locations in the US and they accept cash. Super 8 Motels have more than 2,000 locations and they accept cash, debit, and credit. Red Roof Inn has 650 US locations and guests can pay on arrival. Knights Inn is a budget chain with 350 locations and they accept it.
It’s important to call ahead and make sure payment options are available and any deposit requirements are known.
Independent motels that accept cash
In the USA, certain motels accept cash payments – useful for travelers without credit cards or who just prefer hard money. These motels provide the same level of comfort and amenities as chain hotels, but with more payment flexibility.
Here’s a list of some of these motels in the USA:
- Travel Inn in Las Vegas – spacious and clean rooms, close to popular attractions.
- Broadway Inn in Missoula, Montana – comfy stay, free Wi-Fi, seasonal outdoor pool, daily breakfast.
- Pacific View Inn in San Diego, CA – beachfront motel, ocean views, access to attractions.
Be sure to check with the motel about cash acceptance and deposit requirements before booking. Paying in it can also get you better room rates.
How to book a hotel or motel with cash
Booking a hotel with cash is gaining popularity in the US. Although there are some negatives, such as not getting rewards or points, there are still many benefits.
We’ll explore how to book with cash and the best options for doing so.
Booking directly with the hotel or motel
Direct booking with a hotel or motel can give you the advantage of knowing precisely what type of room and amenities you’ll be getting. Here’s how to do it:
- Research hotels or motels near your destination that accept cash payments.
- Visit their website or call them to ask about room availability and prices.
- Ask if they offer extra services, like free parking or breakfast.
- Check their cancellation policy to avoid fees.
- Maybe sign up for their loyalty program – you could get points, exclusive discounts, and extra perks.
Using a third-party booking site
These customers can find more options and a stress-free booking experience when using a third-party booking site. Here are some tips to follow:
Search for hotels or motels that accept cash during the booking process.
Check policies on cash payments and deposits before booking.
Look for free cancellation or no-fee booking policy.
Use secure payment methods and a reputable third-party booking site.
Keep confirmation of booking and payment for records.
Third-party booking sites allow comparison of prices, amenities, and availability of hotels and motels accepting it in the USA.
Tips for paying with cash at a hotel or motel
It’s important to know the policies regarding these payments. Here are some tips.
Check the hotel website for details. Ask if they accept it. Make sure to ask about any additional charges that may apply. Bring enough to cover the total cost of your stay.
Understanding the hotel/motel’s cash payment policy
Hotels and motels have different payment policies. Some accept it, while others require a debit or credit card. It’s important to check before booking.
Here are some tips for paying with cash:
Call ahead and ask about their policy.
Check if a deposit is needed and how much.
Carry a copy of your reservation and ID.
Use a prepaid debit card if you don’t have a credit or debit card.
Ask for a receipt and keep it safe.
Motel 6, Studio 6, Red Roof Inn, and Super 8 are some USA hotels and motels that accept these payments. However, always call ahead to confirm.
Bringing the right amount of cash and a form of identification
When you pay at a hotel or motel, it’s essential to bring the exact money and a valid form of identification. This is because many establishments have strict rules for these transactions. If you don’t follow them, you could face issues or even be denied accommodation.
Here are some tips:
- Call ahead to confirm they accept cash.
- Bring enough to cover the whole cost, taxes, and fees.
- Have a driver’s license, passport, or state ID.
- Get smaller bills in case they don’t have change.
- Be ready to give a deposit at check-in.
Checking for hidden fees or additional charges
Cash-payers of hotels or motels should be aware of any hidden fees. Here are some tips to avoid unpleasant surprises:
- Ask about any mandatory fees or deposits at booking.
- Inquire about charges for services, e.g. housekeeping or room service.
- Read the fine print – check cancellation policies and fees.
- Talk to the manager if you have questions or worries.
- Research cash-accepting hotels or motels in the USA before booking, and confirm the policies and requirements.
These easy steps can help you have a hassle-free stay without unexpected fees.
Do hotels and motels charge extra fees for paying with cash?
It depends on the hotel or motel’s policy. Some may charge an additional fee for cash payments.
Can I use traveler’s checks to pay for my hotel or motel stay?
It depends on the hotel or motel’s policy. Some may accept traveler’s checks, while others do not.
What happens if I lose my cash payment receipt?
You should contact the hotel or motel’s front desk for assistance in obtaining a duplicate receipt.
Can I negotiate the price of my hotel or motel stay if I pay with cash?
It depends on the hotel or motel’s policy. Some may offer discounts for cash payments, while others do not.
Are there any limitations on the amount of cash I can use to pay for my hotel or motel stay?
It depends on the hotel or motel’s policy. Some may have limitations on the amount of cash that can be used for payment.
Can I pay for a hotel or motel stay with foreign currency?
It depends on the hotel or motel’s policy. Some may accept foreign currency, while others do not.
Are there any legal restrictions on hotels and motels accepting cash payments?
No, there are no legal restrictions on hotels and motels accepting cash payments.
The result? Cash-paying travelers have lots of choices for hotels and motels in the USA. Takes a bit of effort and research to find the perfect cash-accepting spot, yet it’s doable with preparation. Motel 6, Red Roof Inn, and Super 8 are some common chains. Phone ahead to know the accepted payment methods, and bring enough money to cover the stay. Have a great trip!